The Ebenezer Village consists of the properties that support Ebenezer’s membership. It also supports the needs of the community and enhances the opportunity to promote Christian service. Components of the Ebenezer Village are the Sanctuary and Education Building, the East Austin Economic Development Corporation, the Ebenezer Child Development Center, Urdy Plaza, Bailetti House, and the Senior Housing Complex.
Sanctuary and Education Building
- The Sanctuary and Education Building Complex is the cornerstone of Ebenezer Village.
- Erected in 1955, it is where worship services as well as Sunday School and Discipleship Training classes are held.
- On November 14, 1976 Ebenezer was recognized as a Texas Historical Landmark and a commemorative Historical Marker was placed in front of the Sanctuary Building.
East Austin Economic Development Corporation
- Ebenezer Baptist Church formed the East Austin Economic Development Corporation (EAEDC) in 1988 to help guide the economic development aspects of the church’s mission to its community.
- The goals of the EAEDC include establishing affordable housing programs for rental and home ownership, housing counseling, down payment assistance, rental assistance, energy assistance, projects for the elderly, and statewide technical assistance to faith-based community development organizations.
- The EAEDC is housed in the Marvin C. Griffin Building, named for Ebenezer’s Pastor whose vision and leadership was central to the formulation and execution of the organization’s goals.
Ebenezer Child Development Center
- The Ebenezer Child Development Center was founded in 1952.
- It grew out of the vision, prayers and perseverance of Reverend Robert L. Rowe, former pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church.
- The center was organized exclusively for low income and educational purposes within the meaning of Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- It has licensed capacity to serve the needs of over 160 children ages 2 months to 5 years. It offers Spanish, art, gym and music classes in addition to its daily curriculum.
It was accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) in August 2005, and is a Four (4) star Designated Vendor Center with Child Care Management Services.
- Ebenezer facilitated the construction of housing units that are tailored to the special needs of seniors.
- There are twelve units, each with 700 square feet of space, in six duplexes.
- Being located across the street from the Ebenezer Child Development Center makes it convenient for seniors and children to interact during the day.
- The housing is in close proximity to other churches, thereby providing another element of convenience.
- The Bailetti House is located at 1006 Waller Street and is in close proximity to Ebenezer Baptist Church.
- It was constructed in 1886 by W. S. Rogers for Salvatore Bailetti, a prominent, early East Austin merchant.
- The House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 17, 1985.
- Ebenezer acquired the Bailetti House in September 1995, and restored it to be utilized for community service projects.
- Urdy Plaza, located at East 11th and Waller Streets, was named for educator, scientist and long-time community leader Dr. Charles E. Urdy, a long term member of Ebenezer Baptist Church.
- It is divided into two parts on irregularly shaped cement walls constructed specifically for the project:
- a 50-foot-long Rhapsody mosaic mural
- a clock tower and green space area
The Plaza pays homage to the longstanding African American institutions and community buildings of East 11th Street.
Ebenezer’s Stained Glass Windows of Faith
- The Sanctuary Building of Ebenezer Baptist is ordained with exquisite stained glass windows, each representing a specific theme and concept.
- Each window was donated by a member or a member’s family as a memorial gift.
- The images above represent the windows located inside the Sanctuary.
- “Creation” – Sun, Moon, Stars, Trees
- “Ebenezer” – Stone of Help
- “Four Gospels”
- “Freedom” – Black foot with broken chains under the cross personifies Black freedom struggle and liberty in Christ
- “God The Father” – The hand of Creator touches hand of man, giving life
- “God The Holy Spirit” – Dove: Symbol of the Holy Spirit (Mt. 3: 16; Mk. 1:10; Lk. 3:22; Jn. 1:32)
- “God The Son” – Christ = Fish = Greek word IXOYC “ichthus,” initials represent “Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour